Year 4 - Mr K Patel
Y4 Mr Patel
Welcome to class KPY4
Hello and welcome to Mr Patel’s Year 4 class, where we hope to have a superb year!
Mrs Tuck is the member of support staff who helps us with our learning.
Things to remember:
- Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing!
- Times tables - Your child should spend 5 minutes each day to learn their times tables. This will really help with answering the calculations they need to solve.
- Our spelling test is on Friday. New spellings are sent home the previous Monday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test.
- Homework will be set every Friday and will be an extension of what the children have been learning about in school. Please ensure homework is completed and returned to school by the following Monday.
- PE is on Wednesday and Thursday, so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit - T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions. No football shirts, please.
- Celebration assembly is on a Wednesday afternoon - Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Literacy – We will be reading ‘Romulus and Remus’ and we will move on to reading ‘Meet the Romans,’ which is a factual book.
We will read different versions of the story (Romulus and Remus) and watch videos as well. We will compare the different versions and discuss the similarities and differences. The children will learn to write letters and recounts. They will apply the SPAG (Spelling Punctuation and Grammar) that they learn as they progress through the half term.
Maths – We will start with number and move on to place value and counting. The children will learn about how numbers are formed and the value of each digit in a number. The children will move on to learning about number sequences by adding and subtracting. The children will learn skills to help them become better at reasoning and problem solving. Please ensure your child learns their times-tables.
Science – Children will learn about sound. In this unit children will learn about about how vibrations cause sounds and how sounds travel, as well as how sounds can change pitch and loudness. The children will learn about how sounds are made, carrying out demonstrations of vibrations, and completing a sound survey of their school. They will plan investigations and then write them up using a formal template to help them.
History – Our topic this half term in ‘The Ancient Romans.’ Children will learn about Roman civilisations and how they affect life in Rome now. Children will learn about the impact important figures had on shaping History. Children will use a variety of texts, pictures, books and the internet to research and learn about the Romans
Art – Children will be investigating patterns in art. Children will learn about a variety of patterns and how the shapes are visual representations for what they author is trying to explain. They will move on to learning about Roman patterns and the colours they used.
Computing – The unit the children will learn about is called ‘We are software developers’ where the children will learn some basic programming.
French - We will be developing our conversation skills and also learning the names of some of the common foods that we eat.
RE – We will be following the Kirklees syllabus for all our RE lessons. Children will learn about shared values and also respecting others of faith or no faith.
PHSE - We will be following the school PHSE scheme “Jigsaw”. We will learn about being me in my world. Children will discuss what makes them an individual and that, although we are all different, we are all special.
PE – Children will be taking part in different invasion games. They will learn about the importance of teamwork and also being aware of where others are when playing different invasion games.
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see us at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.