Summer Half Term in YN4
Welcome to class YN4
The class teacher for YN4 is Mr Nadat. We have 31 children in class and we have the lovely support of Mrs Dean from Monday to Thursday and of Mrs Hall on Friday.
Here are some important days for children in Yn4:
The children also need to be wearing footwear in class as we will do 30 minutes of health-related activities every day.
Literacy- In English, we will be reading Coming to England by Floella Benjamin. The story is of a young girl who arrives to England in 1960 with her siblings to join up with her parents. They left the Island Paradise of Trinidad to make a new home in London. As the blurb states, England was not at all what they expected…
From this story, we will focus on writing a letter and also a story set within different cultures.
Maths- The main focus is set out below:
· Compare numbers with the same number of decimal places up to two decimal places.
· Round decimals with one decimal place to the nearest whole number.
· Recognise and write decimal equivalents to 14, 12 and 34
· Find the effect of dividing a one or two digit number by 10 or 100, identifying the value of the digits in the answer as ones, tenths and hundredths
· Estimate, compare and calculate different measures, including money in pounds and pence.
· Solve simple measure and money problems involving fractions and decimals to two decimal places.
· Interpret and present discrete and continuous data using appropriate graphical methods, including bar charts and time graphs.
· Solve comparison, sum and difference problems using information presented in bar charts, pictograms, tables and other graphs.
Science - This term will look at the following unit of work: Sounds
In this topic we will cover the following objectives:
Geography – The class will aim to find out about different types of settlement and land use, learn about economic activity including trade links and investigate the distribution of natural resources including energy, food, minerals and water
Art- In Art, we will link this with Geogrpahy by observing physical and natural features. From this, we will use observational skills to draw a simple object. This will lead us to identify key paintings by Van Gogh and eventually we will create our own version of Van Gogh’s Sunflowers.
Computing – The class will work with HLTA Mr Brayshaw on Friday. The class will focus on the Unit of Co-Authors. The class will have the opportunity to research and collaborate, organise and present the information they find.
Music- Year 4’s music will listen and discuss:
- Land of Hope and Glory (Elgar)
- Pomp and circumstance (Elgar)
- Rule Britannia
French – In French we will look at learning animal names. We will develop this into simple conversational skills and begin to spell these names in French.
RE – Our focus this half tem is on the Spring Solstice.
Pupils explore how and why the solstice is celebrated as an important symbol of human life and experience. They will form a class project and make a sunflower and use weaving to make the sun to show and celebrate the season of Spring.
PHSCE – We will look in to Relationships. Children will explore what makes a good friendship, how friendship problems can be resolved. They will also learn ways to help themselves when they feel upset r hurt.
PE- This half term we will be looking at Striking and fielding skills. We will do this through playing cricket games. The sessions will be on Tuesday and Thurday. Each school day will also involve 30mins sessions that promote health and wellbeing.