Year 3 - Mr P Longthorne
PLY3 Mr Longthorne
Welcome to class PLY3
Hello and welcome to Mr Longthorne’s Year 3 class.
We hope you had a really lovely Christmas and New Year and that the children are ready for a new year of learning!
Mrs Tucker is our support staff who helps us with our learning.
Things to remember:
Reading records - Please make sure you listen to your child read each day and sign their reading records. It is an excellent way for you to help your child succeed in both reading and writing!
- Times tables - Your child should spend 5 minutes each day to learn their times tables. This will really help with answering the calculations they need to solve.
- Our spelling test is on Friday. New spellings are sent home the previous Friday, so make sure you help your child practice them ready for their test.
- Homework will be set every Friday and will be an extension of what the children have been learning about in school. Please ensure homework is completed and returned to school by the following Monday.
- Swimming is on Monday morning, so make sure your child comes to school with their swimming costume (swimsuit for girls, trunks or lycra shorts, not long shorts for boys), hat and towel. Remember, if your child wears earrings, they are not allowed to swim with them in, so we advise you to take them out before coming to school. Hats are on sale at the office.
- PE is on Tuesday morning so make sure your child comes to school with their PE kit - T-shirt and shorts, trainers, sweatshirt or hoodie and jogging bottoms for outdoor sessions. No football shirts, please.
- Celebration assembly is on a Friday afternoon - Children who have impressed the adults in class will be chosen as our star pupil of the week and will receive a certificate of achievement. All mums, dads, grandparents or carers are welcome to come along any week.
Spring term 1
Literacy – We will be reading “Varjak Paw” by SF Said this half term.
We will be looking at a range of writing including writing reports including newspaper reports and diary entries.
Children will have regular opportunities to have a go at writing their own.
We will be learning how sentences are structured and having plenty of practice using conjunctions, especially ones that express time, place and cause and effect.
In our newspaper report work we will learn how to use headings and sub-headings to help our presentation.
Maths – We will be continuing working on multiplication and division to help build fluency in Maths. We will continue to develop our mental math skills.
Science – We will be learning about rocks this half term. Children will learn about different types of rocks and soils and investigate fossils.
Topic – Our topic this half term is the ancient Egyptians. Children will learn about what was important to ancient Egyptians, know where and when the Egyptians lived through looking at maps and artefacts. They will investigate the process of mummification and study the artefacts found with Tutankhamun.
Computing – Children will learn how to “shoot” a video, learn how to be directors and write a script to produce a presentation.
French – Children will learn language that will be useful in the classroom. They will also learn about domestic and farm animals. We will do this through taking part in conversations, playing games and singing songs.
RE – Children will learn about the role of different church leaders and think about the idea of belonging to a particular religion or community. They will have the opportunity to discuss difficult ideas like truth and why we have rules.
PHSE - We will be following the school PHSE scheme “Jigsaw”. We will look at
Dreams and Goals. Children will be able to talk about things they have done well and activities that they have found difficult. Children will begin to look at goals they need to achieve to move forward and reach their goals.
PE – Children will be developing flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance through a unit focusing on gymnastics. Year 3 will continue to swim weekly, developing their stamina and swimming skills.
Music – Our year 3 pupils will begin to appreciate and understand a wide range of high-quality live and recorded music drawn from different traditions and from great composers and musicians.
The adults in class are working hard to make sure that the children in our class have a happy and successful year. If you wish to discuss anything concerning your child, please call in and see us at the beginning or end of the school day when we are usually available, or make an appointment at the office.